November 30, 2010

Short notes

It seems that I may not be able to see harbor seals live during my internship. Most research activities concerning the seals are done in summer, when a lot of seals haul-out on the sandbanks to rest in the warm sunshine, moult their fur, nurture their pups and move now and again in a caterpillar-motion to and from the water or across the sandbank. In animal research this caterpillar-motion is called "locomotion". Research includes camera observation based on video footage (whole year round), counting, diet-analysis and telemetrics. Up till now, my research will be camera observation behind a desk and combine this with literature studies. I do think it is necessary for me to see harbor seals live during my research; I may end up investigating seal behaviour at the seal rescue centre Ecomare as well, if only for my own bonding with the seal project - an idea of sea mammal researcher Sophie Brasseur. As a side note: captive animals or in rehabilitation may display different behaviour than the natural behaviour (who will know?). Nevertheless, the main focus will be seal behaviour in the Eems Estuary, Groningen.

So for now only a photograph of a harbor seal at St. Kilda, Scotland, hauling-out and turning its head up on the colourful, rocky shore in June 2010. Or maybe I will meet some harbor seals during my days-off...

Harbor seal hauling-out and turning its head up at St. Kilda, Scotland



















Another development: a colleague asked me if I want to assist collecting samples of musselbeds in De Cocksdorp on Friday. He heard that I like to work outdoors and I don't mind the cold too much. All the interns were looking at me with a smile - they knew, because I told them I like cold, stormy weather! So on Friday I will challenge the cold and work my way through wind and waves.

"If life gives you lemons make lemonade!"