August 14, 2011

Ready-Made Every-Day-Life

Sometimes I seem to be caught up in the routine of days, that I am likely to miss out on the Ready-Made Every-Day-Life elements of nature around me. That's when my camera kicks in: to reveal these tiny facets with just a click of the trigger. These Ready-Made Every-Day-Life elements of nature are in no way endemic, rare or explicit. They just are.

Rainbow and storm clouds in front of my house


















A few weeks ago I visited the banks of the river De Dommel in Boxtel, close to the waterlaboratory where I work. The sand martins had just left for their migratory trip to Africa, so I had to work with Ready-Made Every-Day-Life elements of nature around me. No luck in finding other interesting species. Just strolling around in the damp heat of the day.

The river bank of De Dommel Boxtel


















A closer look on the weeds made me realize the micro-beauty of ordinary insects. The deep blue almost purple flies that I use to wave away when they are nagging me during lunch, seem to be smashingly colourful on complementary yellow. Red bugs that I haven't given a name yet dart around between grass and flowers, searching for mates. Showing off even when the wind rattles the stems. They fight and survive, or fail and die. Gruesome fights for territory and mates right under our noses! Ready-Made Every-Life elements of nature can be fascinating, to spotlight the things we use to walk by without giving them any attention.

Metallic coloured flie cleaning on a flower
















Brown-red bug on the river bank


























I will end this short story with two photographs that were taken at the back of my house. These pictures were taken in 2009 just after a heavy storm with thunder and lightning. During sundown the sky coloured brightly red. To end a day with such a threatening display in Ready-Made Every-Day-Life shows not only the beauty, but also the power of the quite ordinary elements around us. In no way endemic, rare or explicit. They just are.

Stormclouds coloring the sky red and purple (2009)

















Only a few minutes later and the red sky is gone