January 19, 2012

Rocks and riddles of Rhodes - Part I

It was still warm for the time of year. The radiation of the sun made my cheeks glow. Waves rolled in from the eastern Aegean Sea, while I was studying the rock surfaces of Lindos area, Rhodes island, at the end of September. I was performing a cautious acrobatic act on my wading shoes to keep my balance on the slippery beach of rocks.

At first glance, most people would only see rocks on Lindos beach, plain and ordinary. If you look more closely, you can see a small cosmic landscape in it with salty stars, alien pools and mars-like sceneries.

Rocks of Lindos Beach

I was lucky that day. Earlier that week I noticed that the golden light only occurred between 18:00h and 18:15h, just before the sun goes down. During the day the sun would be too intense. This day Lindos was partly covered with clouds above the dry mountains and hills; quite rare according to Rhodes people. The scattered warm light created by the distraction of the clouds lasted for more than an hour. The rocky scenery was stunning to behold.
 
Almost cosmic structures on the rocks, carved by
salt water, algae and chalk

That same week of ‘rocky research’, one taxi driver said to me and my partner to enjoy the small moments in life, like listening to relaxing music while working. Most moments will just pass without realizing the beauty of these so ordinary scenes. And he was right; from the daily drive through winding landscapes, to the baking of pancakes and sprinkling them with syrup. These moments are dear and special in their own right.

This one taxi driver had an aura of softness and acceptance around him, and he seemed to radiate it during that one taxi drive. My partner Rick and I decided that this drive had an impact, in a strange and peculiar way. Small things matter, from alien pools on the beach to golden light eluminating the landscape. As a photographer and hydrobiologist I am keen on the tiny things; they write a short story about the structures and vividness of life on Earth.