September 18, 2020

Get Inspired! ALWAYS

On September 12, 2020, I started as a participant in the mentorship program of Nature Photography by famous Dutch photographer Bart Siebelink. YES! If you are curious about his outstanding work: https://mentornatuurfotografie.nl . The website is in Dutch though you can still enter and look at his portfolio.

Our first meeting was at The Sculpture Garden De Zanderij in 's-Graveland, Hilversum, the Netherlands - indeed with care of the covid-19 regulations by the Dutch Government. In the morning we discussed a lot of photographs from the portfolios of the 9 participants. In the afternoon we got an assignment about the Dutch writer Jac. P. Thijsse, who was a fundamental nature adventurer and nature observator. We needed to photograph (forest) observations, to get into the mind of this renowned nature writer.

While most of the participants went to the Sculpture Garden itself, I entered the forest close by with the idea of ​​symbolism (dark and mysterious). I use a Canon Eos 5D Mark III with a Tamron 90mm di macro lens and an angle viewfinder (to avoid a crooked neck).

The first photograph that I will discuss is the following: 


Title of this photograph: Two snakes.

Process: a beautiful old tree with split and marked bark revealed wonderful structures.

Idea: the original photo is in color. I saw two structures crawling up like snakes, snakes without a head or tail. Snakes are seen in many cultures and religion as evil and dark with temptation. 

Digital Editing: the photo has been edited in PS Elements. I tilted the photo for a slightly more surprising effect. Contrast and brightness lowered via the Levels. Then converted to black and white with the filter Newspaper.  Shadow/highlight to further enhance the drawing of lines in this photograph.

What do I think of it? Very successful, partly because of the almost graphic effect that arises, with lines that guide me through the photo.

The second photograph that I will discuss is this one:

Title of this photograph: When you get older.

Process: I saw a beautiful old tree, perhaps split open by lightning or some other process. The structures really appealed to me.

Idea: I wanted to make a double image, with the structure of the tree that continues to come through, while the leaves are translucent. It's about getting older, causing more and more wrinkles on the skin. The leaves symbolize memories that are becoming increasingly blurred, but are still transparent. 

Digital Editing: the photo has been edited in PS Elements (saturation / contrast / dust removal) and I added grain on purpose.

What do I think of it? The photo was successful, with layers in it and details on the bark and the leaves.

Next issue will address two other photographs of the same assignment that I took that day! Till next time. Get Inspired, ALWAYS!